There’s a lot of buzz around coworking spaces lately. And if you find yourself hearing about it enough at the coffee shop or office, you may be asking yourself this question: “what is coworking?” Well, you’ve come to the right place.
What is coworking?
Here’s our simplest definition. Coworking is a shared workspace where professionals of all kinds can work independently or in groups on a joint project. Generally, those working in a coworking space do not work for the same company, but all have access to the amenities offered in a traditional office space. Different >memberships exist depending on how frequently you want to work, or how you want to work (in a shared space, private office… where you are your most productive).
Coworking is primarily a workplace alternative for those who work from home or even from the traditional office. Freelancers and startups comprise the largest majority of coworkers, but we see professionals from all industries at Studio Workspaces.
So now that you have a better understanding, why coworking? Here are a couple of key reasons:
- Coworkers are more productive: We hear a lot about productivity — it’s much easier to work in a professional, flexible environment than at the kitchen table (can we get an amen?).
- The community: Working from home can be lonely especially if you’re a freelancer. Most coworkers highlight the community as a primary benefit of coworking spaces. You network, collaborate, and meet potential new clients at a higher rate. Plus, the events and community gatherings are added bonuses that help to grow your network and skills.
- Coworking is convenient: Unlike D traditional office, you get to choose when you start and stop working. Coworking spaces also have turnkey, furnished offices, and shared workspaces fitted with fast Internet, high-speed printers, office supplies, and complimentary water, tea, and coffee (we make a point to mention the coffee).
Here’s how to choose a good coworking space
If coworking interests you, it’s important that you know what to look for.
- Location: Remember, coworking is convenient. Don’t commute an hour to a coworking space when you have four locations in the Roseville area at Studio Workspaces. Make your life easy, and opt for a location close to you surrounded by amenities like restaurants and retail locations.
- Meeting rooms: A great benefit of coworking spaces is the access to furnished meeting rooms. Have a potential new client? Great, pitch them in a professional space so it comes across polished, just like you. We suggest you tour possible locations to view the private office and meeting room areas before you commit.
- Access: If a coworking space only allows access from 9 to 5, then how is it any more flexible than the traditional office? Choose a space that lets you work when you want. Many of Studio Workspaces memberships offer 24×7 access.
Book a tour at Studio Workspaces today to see why so many people have turned to coworking.